Thursday, June 16, 2011

Holy Guacamole!!

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I haven't been posting the last few days. The weekends are crazy busy and some nights I am just so dang tired. So I wanted to post a few recipes tonight.  I have also been informed that the "Lime Slush Cocktail" from the very first post, is a hit! With the girls and guys haha.  So I am definitely up for making it.  I also have been googling, youtube'ing, etc how to make hair bows and flowers just to kill some time.  Maybe as a new hobby for me.  So if they turn out as cute as they do in my head I will post some pics.  So here we go....

Basic Guacamole:
Serves: 6
Prep: 15 minutes

4 Haas Avocados (about 7 oz each)
1 Serrano Chile, stemmed and minced
1 Small Clove Garlic, minced (optional)
2 tbsp. Finely Chopped White Onion
2 tbsp. Finely Chopped Seeded Tomato
2 tbsp. Chopped Cilantro, plus more for garnish
2-3 tsp. Fresh Lime Juice, plus 1 lime cute into wedges
1/2 tsp. Salt, plus more to taste
1 bag of Delicious Tortilla Chips

1) In a medium bowl, mash the avocado flesh with a fork until somewhat chunky (not smooth).  One at a time, gently stir in the chile, garlic, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime juice and salt.  Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface and let sit for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
2) Season with salt to taste (remember that tortilla chips are salty).  Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro and serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.



Make A Guacamole Min-In Party: (Perfect for a finger food or appetizer party.  Separate each ingredient and let each person make their own)

Get Started:
Dish up some avocado and lime juice mash

Heat it up:
Stir in a little seasoning, such as cayenne, ground cumin, minced garlic and chopped chiles

Sweeten the mix:
Add chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, onions and bell peppers, plus corn kernels and beans

Cool it:
Calm everything down with dairy: cubed jack cheese and swirls of sour cream or plain yogurt

Taste it:
Sample your mix to see if it needs a little salt or pepper: garnish with chopped fresh herbs, such as cilantro

Dig in:
Pick up a handful of tortilla chips and other dippers, take it all to your seat and enjoy!




Stuffed Potatoes:

4 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
Salt and Pepper
1 1/4 cup Sour Cream
1/4 snipped Chives
Cheese (optional)

1) Wrap potatoes individually in foil.  Cook on covered grill over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until fork-tender, 45 minutes.
2) Unwrap and grill, turning, until skin is crispy in spots, 2-4 minutes.
3) Cut a pocket-like split down the middle, season with salt and pepper, dollop with sour cream and sprinkle with chives and cheese



Carrot Cake Parfait:
Considered healthy eating for kids also!
Serves: 1

1 6-oz. container Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt
2 tbs. Shredded Carrot
1 tbs. Raisins
1 tbs. chopped or ground Walnuts
Honey (optional)
Ground Cinnamon

1)Spoon about 1/3 of the yogurt into a 6-8 oz. glass.
2) Sprinkle carrots over yogurt and cover with another 1/3 of the yogurt.
3) Top with raisins and then remaining yogurt.
4) Garnish with walnuts (grind them up for kids under 4), a squirt of honey, and cinnamon

Fun Facts:
Carrots are good for Vitamin A (encourages growth), Vitamin K (helps heal bruises), Lutein and Zeaxanthin (promotes healthy eyes)





3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm I'm JUST ate, and you made me hungry all over again.. I'm a sucker for GOOD guacamole.. This one sounds amazing! I'm not too sure about the carrot cake parfait tho.. I love carrot cake, and I love yogurt parfaits, but together?? I just don't know..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I just ate too & would kill for that parfait right now! Looks devine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a guac eater at all, but it does sounds good. and Erika, I totally thought of you when I posted this. Let me know cause I wanna try it. I think it would be a good cold snack :)

    ReplyDelete