Friday, June 17, 2011

Chocolate Craving On A Friday Night

Hi Everyone,
It's Friday night and I am already in bed! We don't ever go out but I am literally already in bed.  I attempted to start making hair flowers and hair bows and once I start I never want to quit! But I overdid it tonight and killed my back sitting there for hours.  So in bed, with a heating pad, took 2 vicodin, and a bowl of rocky road ice cream.  I wanted to post a cake tonight that looks DELICIOUS! I think I am going to make it for Father's Day.  Speaking of which, what are you planning to do for Father's Day for your husband or dad?  We don't have much planned; just church and meet my parents at Pechanga for lunch; but it should be a good day.  So here is your yummy cake and dig in!

Almond Joy Layer Cake
Serves: 12
Prep: 50 minutes plus chilling
Bake: 35 minutes

**Reading through the steps you can replace half the items with chocolate cake in a box and icing in a can**

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

  • 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

  • 3 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

  • 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar

  • 4 tsp. pure vanilla extract

  • 1/2 tsp. salt plus a big pinch

  • 3 eggs

  • 1 1/2 cups flour

  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

  • 1 tsp. baking soda

  • 1 bag (14 oz.) sweetened shredded coconut (4 packed cups)

  • 2 cups sliced almonds

  • 3 cups heavy cream

  • 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar


  • Directions:

    1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter two 8-inch-by-2-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment and butter the parchment.
    2. In a medium saucepan, bring 2/3 cup water to a boil. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Whisk in the butter and chocolate over low heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk in 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
    3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Pour in the chocolate mixture until smooth. Stir in 1 packed cup coconut. Divide the batter between the pans and bake in the lower third of the oven for 35 minutes or until firm in the center. Let cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely.
    4. While the cake cools, spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 12 minutes; let cool.
    5. In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup cream, the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and pinch salt and simmer, stirring, over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tsp. vanilla and 3 packed cups coconut. When cool, fold in 1 1/2 cups almonds.
    6. Split the cake layers to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer cut side up on a cake stand and spread with 1 cup of the coconut-almond mixture. Top with the second layer cut side down and spread with 1 cup more of the mixture. Repeat with the remaining 2 cake layers and filling, spreading the filling on the top. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours to firm up.
    7. Whip the remaining 2 1/4 cups cream with the confectioners’ sugar until stiff. Spread over the cake. Sprinkle the top with the remaining almonds.




    Here are some of the flowers I made, there's more but just a preview:


    
    purple/camo
    
    I made this for my mom out of fabric.  The pattern reminded me of her
    


    

    

    
    mid-size flowers

    
    mini flowers



    pink/white
    
    

    5 comments:

    1. Super cute lady!!! Love the bows/flowers! They look awesome :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi ... I came across your blog from Jenn Garcia's blog list ... the title of your blog made me want to look - I LOVE recipes! You look familiar, I think you were a year older than me in High School ... not sure if you even remember me or know who I am? Anyway was reading your recipes & YUM! They look so good! The carrot cake parfait in your post below is on my list of recipes to try. Love your hair bows very cute!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I hate looking at your blog. Makes me hungry!! lol. That cake looks delicious and the bows r very pretty too. Good JOb!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love recipes!! When I first started my blog that's what I wanted to do. But every time I cook I forget to take a pic before we eat it! The cake looks so good!

      ReplyDelete